Saturday, July 31, 2010

July's Events


Can you believe it's already the last day of July? I sure can't! So much has been going on, I thought I'd share a little bit.

I got my official photo shoot taken and picked out my headshot for the Miss America program book! (on right)

On July 2nd, I went to Imperial, Nebraska for their city's 125th anniversary celebration. I sang the National Anthem, spoke, played my piano piece, signed autographs and took pictures, and got to chat with the friendly people of Imperial. It was a great time!

I am back on the United Way Special Events Committee (I was previously on it a couple years ago) and we are working on the upcoming Rubber Duck Race in Scottsbluff. Make sure you buy your rubber ducks to get in the race to win a new car!

I started Facebook pages for both my title this year- "Teresa Scanlan: Miss Nebraska 2010," and my platform- "Eating Disorders: A Generation at Risk." If you are on Facebook, please add these pages for information and updates! The links are located at the top of my blog page.

On the 17th I was in the Oregon Trail Days parade in Gering. It was a blast and great weather!



The 20th was a performance at the Steel Grill in Gering with my sisters, Sarah and Christine. We sang some patriotic songs for the Scottsbluff County Board of Realtors.


On the 22nd I had the chance to go to Denver to meet with Don Baker, a nationally renowned interview coach. He gave a lot of great advice, and I also got to do some shopping while in Denver!

The 24th was filled with working on a house in Scottsbluff for Habitat for Humanity. My church had quite a few people there and we got a lot done; I can't wait to see the house makes its way to completion soon!

That evening I had a great time at a "Princess for a Day" event in Scottsbluff for 3rd-6th grade girls. The girls had so much fun dressing up, taking pictures, eating fancy snacks, singing, and even having a parade around the block as we practiced our "wave!"

This last week of July has been busy every day, as I have been helping with Theatre West's Theatre Opportunity for Youth (TOFY) camp at the Harms Center in Scottsbluff. I led acting and games each day for groups of Kindergarden through 5th graders who learned all about singing, dancing, and acting throughout the week, incorporated into a "Seussical the Musical" theme. We had our parent showcase this morning and it went great!


This past week has also been the rehearsal week for the Scottsbluff County Fair Pageant- the first preliminary this year for Miss Nebraska 2011! The competition will be held tonight at the Midwest Theater in Scottsbluff, so stay tuned for the new winners this year! I won this competition last year, and have been involved for several years- it is always such a well-run program and a great experience! Speaking of which, I better go to the theater now; the pageant starts in a couple of hours! Have a great weekend!

All My Love,
Teresa Scanlan

No comments: