Saturday, October 2, 2010

September Wrap-up


Can you believe it's already October? I certainly can't! September flew by, and now we're down to only three months until Miss America! How exciting! Well, the past week has been a lot of fun, as my older sister Angela and I flew to Houston, Texas for a few days for Miss America prep including work with a personal trainer, a make-up artist, and wardrobe consultation. We were quite efficient, and I checked off a lot of "to-do's" in those few days before flying back to Denver. As the product of all that efficient shopping however, my suitcase was 18 pounds overweight on the flight home, so I had to stuff almost 20 pounds of clothes in my carry-on bag and lug it around! Note to all travelers: If planning on shopping at destination, pack light so as to have room on the return trip. (:


Right after that, I zipped across the state to spend a couple days in Hastings and Grand Island. I had the opportunity to be part of the Harvest of Harmony pageant and parade, which were loads of fun! There were thirty-five great girls competing in the pageant, who had been nominated from schools all over the area. They were judged on their resumes and interviews, and then wore their beautiful gowns for the evening presentation and reception. The morning of the parade was a pretty chilly fall morning, and having only brought a short-sleeved ensemble, I quickly learned to have a spare jacket from now on. This is Nebraska after all! What was I thinking? Especially now that it's October, we can start having snow, rain, or a tornado... all in the same day. That's our good ol' Nebraska!


But as I drive back and forth across the length of the state, I'm becoming entirely convinced there is no place more beautiful! There is simply no substitute for riding the rolling hills on a cool fall day, with the sun shining brightly; passing a herd of horses in a clearing, surrounded by trees in beautiful hues of brown, orange, and red; or following a stretch of ripe fields, waving in the light breeze. Go ahead - get outside and enjoy it!...while it lasts!

Happy October!
Teresa

No comments: