Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Miss Nebraska 2010!


June 6th, 2010:
...and your new Miss Nebraska 2010 is.... contestant number 2, Teresa Scanlan!

"I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry... oh well, I'm crying!"

As Brittany Jeffers pinned my crown on my head and put my new sash on, so many emotions were rushing through me I couldn't even think. That night marked the end of the hard work, months of preparation, and tough competition leading up to the Miss Nebraska pageant, but marked the beginning of the hard work, months of service, and excitement of the coming year.

That night was a blur of pictures and autographs, and I felt so honored and blessed to be surrounded by such supportive and encouraging people. It was also wonderful to have my parents and three sisters there, as well as several friends from "back home." (Scottsbluff and Gering)

The next morning was spent meeting with my directors, business manager, and accountant to talk about the details of my first full-time job! After saying goodbye to my family, I spent the afternoon with the Fagos, my wonderful host family. Monday afternoon I picked up my new car, packed up, and drove home to Gering.

These past few days have been spent organizing and planning in order to prepare for this year. I had to quit my carry-out job at our local grocery store, which I will miss quite a bit, but I know everyone there is very excited for me. I deferred enrollment to Patrick Henry College until the fall of 2011, and deferred the scholarships I received this year as well. Luckily, during orientation Brittany had explained to us the need for a plan, so my parents and I were on the same page about these things.

As the rest of the details fall into place, I am taking it one day at a time, making sure to soak in every exhilarating moment as your Miss Nebraska 2010.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Teresa! It sounds like you're handling things well so far; please know that you have a big network of people who are ready and willing to assist you anytime you need it... :) It was a pleasure to meet you this past weekend, and we're all so excited for your year!!

Jill (Pennington) Deleault, Miss NE 2000